Process Walk-through Checklist of Questions to Ask
Question Every Activity - Always Ask Why
- Is the step or process necessary?
- Does it add value?
- Can it be eliminated?
- Is it labor intensive?
- Can it be automated?
- How accurate is the data?
- How many people participate in the process?
- Does it take excessive time to complete?
- Are too many handoffs occurring?
- Is there a duplication of effort?
- Is the output necessary?
- Is anyone using the output?
- How often do they use it?
- Is the input necessary?
- Are roles and responsibilities clearly defined?
- Are roles and responsibilities appropriate?
- What is slowing down the process?
- Are there needless reviews or approvals required?
- Is the physical piece of paper necessary?
- Is anyone performing similar tasks?
- Is the same data being keyed into multiple places? (For example, the accounting system, an Access database, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Does a backlog exist?
- How often are deadlines missed?
- What are the routine â€œfire drillsâ€?
- How are they initiated?
- Who/what causes them?
- How accurate are the inputs/outputs?
- What are the busiest times of the day, week, month and/or quarter?
Chicago area ERP consultant with over 40 years of experience in Sage 300, Sage Pro, Quickbooks ERP and other systems