Windows Server 2003 Retirement; Are You Prepared?
Are You Prepared for the Retirement of Windows Server 2003/R2?
Windows Server 2003 retirement is almost here. As of July 14, 2015 Windows Server 2003/R2 will no longer be supported by Microsoft. Here is a short list of what that means
- Requests for changes to product design or features will no longer be accepted or accommodated
- Security updates will no longer be provided, exposing your Windows Server 2003 installation to security threats.
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) policies will not be met with an operating system that is no longer being supported.
- Hotfixes and bug fixes will no longer be provided.
- Complimentary support (phone and online) included with licenses will no longer be provided.
- Paid support (for example, from Microsoft Premier Support) will no longer cover the Windows Server 2003 Family of Products.
It is important to start planning your Windows Server 2003 migration now! The planning of such a migration is just the beginning of the beginning for most businesses. A new server should be purchased and an organized system of data transfer should be in place BEFORE July 14th.
Just like XP, Server 2003 will not totally disappear. There are still a very large number of unsupported XP’s running out there and Windows Server 2003/R2 will probably suffer the same fate. If it crashes, freezes, gets corrupted or is attacked by your friendly neighborhood CryptoLocker virus, don’t say you were not warned. HAVE A PLAN! EXECUTE THE PLAN! Test your backup to make sure you are saving everything you need. The hard truth is that every unsupported, unbacked up PC and Server out there is an accident waiting to happen. The statistics tell us that 60% of businesses that suffer a catastrophic data failure will be OUT OF BUSINESS within 6 months of the problem.
If you are interested in help and support for the design of a new server and data transfer to that server, please contact us at email@example.com or at the number above
Chicago area ERP consultant with over 40 years of experience in Sage 300, Sage Pro, Quickbooks ERP and other systems